Monday 12 October 2020

Release 0.2.1 Entry into Open Source

 


OMG!

It's finally happening, DO NOT PANIC!

October is finally upon us and Hacktoberfest has officially started. What an amazing experience to get involved with other developers across the globe and contribute something meaningful.

So, anyway. For the month of October we have to make 4 PRs in at least 3 different repos. I loved the idea of getting involved with something and transitioning outside of my comfort zone.

Roughly a year ago I bought myself an Oculus Quest (Best purchase I ever made). I entered into a whole new reality (literally). Accompanying this new purchase I developed a new hobby. A hobby for VR, Virtual Reality, and as every new hobby I was, still am, really interested in all news and things in regards to VR. When I was still a "newby" in the VR scene I started following all these cool websites and forums to maximize the gain of my new toy.

Therefore, it only made sense that my first PR to someone outside of our OSD class was to an Oculus Quest related repo.

I began my search for repos related to Oculus in general but the projects seemed way too big and out of my scope (at least for this week). After hours of searching and going through countless of README files. I found the ONE.


The repo I found was for a website I used to follow and get my gaming information from when I first bought my Oculus Quest.

The website itself looked amazing, for it having been done by one person.

It was time to begin looking through the code and finding potential bugs. I remember our professor showing us how to find bugs in one of his lectures. My initial urge was to open up the developer inspection tool on chrome and see if any links are broken.

To my avail there was a script that was returning a status code of 404.


I looked over the code to see if the flipclock.js was being used anywhere that was of importance. YES! It was not. I proceeded to make an issue notifying the owner. 

Short and sweet. That was my fix.
I made a quick PR where I simply commented out the js file incase he wanted to have it in his code for future reference.

AND THAT'S A WRAP.




It was not much but fixing a bug does not have to be a complicated thing. With that being said, I do have a much bigger contribution coming to another Oculus Quest Repo coming up. So stay tuned my peeps.

Till next time,
XOXO,
Gossip Plamen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Release 0.4.3 - The End of Something Great

  Hello my wonderful followers! It is here... It is finally here. The end of this nightmarish semester is finally here. I have to say the pa...