Saturday 17 October 2020

Release 0.2.2 - Entering Another (Virtual) Reality

 

Hello my fellow gamers.

Today's blog will be a continuation on the festivities of Hacktoberfest.

As I mentioned on my last hacktoberfest blog, I am a big VR enthusiast. I absolutely love escaping reality and jumping into the virtual world where I can be whoever or... erhm... whatever I want to be without any judgements. 

So as you all know I bought an Oculus Quest roughly a year ago and have been dabbling into VR open source lately. There are a lot of cool apps/games that are made specifically for the Oculus Quest.

Anyways,
for my second PR I wanted to contribute to something I recently found and have been using ever since I found it. The discord rich presence application for the Quest. It is basically an app that runs on your computer and updates your discord status based on the packets sent from the quest to your local network. The Quest sends packets based on event driven tasks, so every time you open an application a packet is sent. The PC application picks it up and updates your discord status to whatever the packet was.

The creator of this application mentioned that he is looking for contributions to their games/apps json list. 
I got into contact with him and chatted for quite a bit. He told me how to properly test the updates and how the application itself works (see above).

My chat with him went something like this.



Extremely cool dude.

Awesome, I got the OK from the owner to go ahead and contribute to his repo.

The first thing I did was open up his json file to find that there were already over 100 games/apps that were being picked up by discord... That did not make my job easier.

I opened up a third party store (SideQuest) tailored for Oculus Quest developers and got to searching for games that were not in his list.

I found content that I can update his json file with and got to work.

I added about 20 games to the list. Might not seem a lot but it definitely is for the amount of time I spent searching.

Everything was working as expected I fed the package name, the state and the description for each app.



I then pushed it to my fork on github and opened an issue on his repo. I made a PR and linked it with the issue.
To my satisfaction he merged my PR. I felt so good about contributing to an actual VR project. It was awesome. 

I will contribute something more in the future to this repo as it is very useful for Quest owners.

Well... that was it from me for this week. Stay tuned for my next contribution in the VR scene.


Till next time, 
XOXO, 
Gossip Plamen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Release 0.4.3 - The End of Something Great

  Hello my wonderful followers! It is here... It is finally here. The end of this nightmarish semester is finally here. I have to say the pa...