Saturday 14 November 2020

Release 0.3.1 - The Seneca Hubble Telescope

 


Hello once again today.

I will just get to the point of this blog.
So Professor Humphrey gave us release 0.3, 2 weeks ago (I think), I've sort of lost track of time. This 0.3 release was to contribute to two more repos.

The first being a contribution to the Telescope repo.
Telescope is an open source web server and client application for aggregating and presenting a timeline of Seneca's open source blogs. Telescope makes it easy to see what's happening with open source at Seneca right now.

So the first thing I had to do was to find a Telescope issue that I can actually do...
My JavaScript really sucks major donkey balls. So I looked and looked through the hundreds of issues (at the time) that had been filed and stopped at the perfect one for a front end bug that had re-occurred due to a commit changing the flow of how posts are being handled.

I got down to business and started hunting down the culprit CSS that was responsible for not making the posts on mobile not extend the whole screen width. In all hind sight I probably spent a lot more time than required for something like this because as mentioned above, my JS is horrible. It also doesn't help that I am not a big fan/ have much interest of web technologies.

Anyways,
The problem that was at hand was that because of commit #1174 and soon after #1217 the content was not being displayed properly as maintainers/ alumni want.
As I said I hunted down the culprit and found that the default CSS style was not being overridden. I simply applied the style so that it will be used and everything worked according to plan.

Although, this was not a huge fix. I learned a lot about collaboration on a big project and the multiple checks that have to be conducted before something is merged and eventually deployed. 

My PR actually fixed two issues at the same time, the second being by accident but that is not important O.o

These were the results of my small bug fix.
                      Before:                                                  After:
                                 

Oh and the search page issue (linked above)


I was pretty happy with the changes and how it turned out.

Well that is everything for now.

Till next time, 
XOXO, 
Gossip Plamen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Release 0.4.3 - The End of Something Great

  Hello my wonderful followers! It is here... It is finally here. The end of this nightmarish semester is finally here. I have to say the pa...