Saturday 14 November 2020

Release 0.3.2 - Don't Sit Too Close to the VR TV

 


Do you remember when you were young and your mom yelled at you for sitting too close to the TV?!

Well, I do too. It was annoying to say the least. I can't blame her though it was a bad habit that was part of most of my childhood, especially when playing my PS1 and PS2, the good ol' days. 

So why doesn't she yell at me whenever I use my Oculus Quest VR? It probably has something to do with the fact that I am 25 years old now and it looks sort of silly for a grown man to get yelled at by his mommy... 

Anyways...

So, as mentioned in my last blog Release 0.3 has two parts, or rather 2 PRs to be submitted.
I wrote about how I contributed to Telescope in my last blog. That was fun.

However, I needed a new repository to contribute to this week. Since I am a big VR enthusiast as I have said multiple times in previous blogs. I chose to do something related to VR.

I started searching and came out empty on specific things that I wanted to do. I then realized that one of the most used programs that I personally use almost on a daily basis is the ALVR application.

ALVR:
ALVR is an open source remote VR display for Oculus Quest. With it, you can play SteamVR games in your standalone headset.

I went on the github repo and found an interesting issue that I felt would benefit not only me, but a lot of people.
I found an issue to translate the WHOLE application, since my native tongue is Bulgarian I decided to submit a PR for the Bulgarian language.

Eh, a translation PR who cares, that is easy. 
You would think so but... well it was relatively easy but it was a lot of work, especially since my Bulgarian has been degrading over the past 18 years since I came to Canada.

Anyways,
I began to look through the files on what needed to be translated.
Thankfully for me, the structure of the project was really well organized and finding the language support files was not that hard.

The first thing I did was to copy the "default" English files into a new folder with the language code "bg" to use them as the base for my translation files.
I then linked those files with the default ones to change when the user selects a language from the drop down menu.

All that was left was to translate. OH SO MUCH TRANSLATION!

I literally spent over 7 hours alone just for translation of values and text. It was tedious work but my PR got merged after about a day ,and a review from the maintainer, later. I was excited because I had contributed to something used all around the world.

After my PR got merged I immediately sent the latest version to two of my friends (who are also Bulgarian) for them to test the translation. They commended me on a job well done.

 I showed all my relatives because this is one contribution that I was extremely passionate and proud of.

Here is a meme, just for fun (because I had it laying around and wanted to post it).


Welp, that was all from me for 0.3. whoever has a VR headset go checkout ALVR and star it. It needs more recognition.

Now, I am going to bury my head in Amazon and Canada Computers because I am building myself a brand new PC for gaming... writing code O.o

Till next time, 
XOXO,
Gossip Plamen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Release 0.4.3 - The End of Something Great

  Hello my wonderful followers! It is here... It is finally here. The end of this nightmarish semester is finally here. I have to say the pa...